Saturday, October 9, 2010

2 YEARS GONE BUT NOT FORGOTTEN - ALTON NEHEMIAH ELLIS, OD.


ALTON NEHEMIAH ELLIS, OD, (Sep. 1, 1938- Oct. 10, 2008) also known as one of the innovators of rocksteady was born September 1, 1938 and grew up in the Trench Town District. Alton came from a musical family and learned to play the piano at an early age. In school he excelled in music and sports.

Alton loved to dance and competed in the Opportunity Hour. Having won many competitions, he turned to singing. In 1959, Alton partnered with Eddy Perkins and formed a duo Alton & Eddy. That same year they recorded a song that was written by Alton “Muriel” this song became a hit for the duo. After much recognition for their hit that was produced by the late Coxsone Dodd, they went on to record a few more songs at Studio One and for Vincent Chin on the Randy's label. Thereafter, Perkins left for the United States and Alton remained in Jamaica.

When Alton was layed off of his job he took his music career more seriously and formed a new duo with John Holt. When Holt moved joined The Paragons, Alton formed another group and called them The Flames. The group consisted his brother Leslie Ellis, David "Baby G" Gordon and Winston Jarrett. Alton recorded songs for Treasurer Isle, like "Girl I've Got a Date", "Cry Tough" and "Rock Steady" which were all big hits.

During the late 60's and early 70's recorded to big hits “Deliver Us” and “Back To Africa”. In 1967 he toured England with Ken Boothe and Studio One's band called Soul Vendors. Around this same time Alton began to produce his own records, including "My Time Is The Right Time" and "The Message".

In 1972, Alton made his base in England. From 1980's up to 2000's he continued to record and perform regularly. 2004, he was awarded the Order of Distinction by the Jamaica government in recognition of his achievements. 2006, he was inducted into the International Reggae And World Music Awards Hall Of Fame that was kept in New York at the Apollo Theatre. In December 2007, Alton was admitted to a hospital in London, England for treatment - cancer of the lymph glands. After receiving chemotherapy Alton returned to performing.

On Wednesday October 8, 2008 news was circulating saying that Alton was hospitalized, the following day the news then stated that he had passed. Alton died on October 10, 2008 at the Hammersmith Hospital in West London, England of cancer. He was the older brother of the late Hortense Ellis and the father of more than twenty children including Noel Ellis and Christopher Ellis, who are both reggae singers in the UK. A service was held in the celebration of his life on November 3rd, 2008 in attendance: his family, music industry insiders, fans and government ministers. Tribute performances came from Ken Boothe, Judy Mowatt, Carlene Davis, George Nooks and Tinga Stewart to name a few.

To Noel, Christopher AND other siblings this one is for you all:

To me your father Alton N. Ellis, OD was a musical giant. He truly touched our hearts in the reggae world. I feel very honored to have known him and thoroughly enjoyed his company whenever he visited our studio while he was here in New York.


To all who loved this man and his music, I say keep the fire burning. Alton might be gone but NEVER FORGOTTEN.


Alton's work:

Releases

1967Mr Soul Of Jamaica Sings Rock and Soul

1969The Best Of

1970Sunday Coming

1973Greatest Hits [aka Cry Tough]

1977Still In Love

1979A Love To Share

197XShowcase Soul Groover

197X-8XSlummin'

1980Mr Ska Bean'a (Alton Ellis & The Heptones)

1983A New Day Daydreaming

198425th Silver Jubilee

1985Continuation Jubilee Volume 2

[Date unknown]Alton & Hortense Ellis At Studio 1 [Alton & Hortense Ellis]

CompilationsAll My Tears [1965-68] Alton Ellis Sings, Heptones Harmonise [Alton Ellis & The Heptones - 1978-80]Arise Black Man [1968-78] Be True To Yourself [196X-7X] Get Ready For Rock Reggae Steady [1967-74] Many Moods Of Alton Ellis [1978-80] My Time Is The Right Time [1966-71] Reggae Valley Of Decision [197X]

ProductionsAlton Ellis - 25th Silver Jubilee [1984] Alton Ellis - Jubilee Volume 2 [1985] Alton Ellis & Heptones - Mr Ska Bean'a [1980] Appears on14 Carat Gold I'll Be Waiting 17 North Parade Too Late A Place Called Africa Going Back To Africa True Born African Adventures In Dub Big Bad Boy (Version) All My Tears Can't Stand It All Shook Up Love Letters Alton & Hortense Ellis At Studio 1 I'm Still In Love With You Breaking Up Is Hard To Do Lord Deliver Us Can't Get Used To Losing You When I'm Down Breaking Up Is Hard To Do Live And Learn (Extended Mix) You Said It Again The Picture Was You Can't Get Used To Losing You I'll Be Waiting I'll Be Waiting Wide World Wide World The Picture Was You Lord Deliver Us You Said It Again When I'm Down Am I Black Enough For You Black Man's Word Aquarius Rock Alton's Official Daughter (Version 1) Alton's Official Daughter (Version 2) Arise Rootsman Black Man's Pride At Randy's Rum Bumper's Ba Ba Boom Duke Reid Willow Tree Breaking Up Baba Boom Time How Can I Babylon Burning Ain't That Loving Ballistic Sureshots Im Still In Love With You Best Of Studio 1 Can I Change My Mind Can I Change My Mind Best Of Vintage Get Ready, Rock Steady (New Style) Blue Beat Special Let Him Try Boom Shaka Lacka Remember That Sunday Burning Up Vol 1 Telephone Line I Love You Catch This Beat Shake It Chi Chi Run Since I Fell For You Christmas Greetings From Studio 1 Praise Jah It's Christmas Clancy Eccles Presents His Reggae Revue Bye Bye Love Feeling Inside Come Back Darling Soul Groover I'll Be Waiting It's Your Thing Come Rock With Me In Jamaica Willow Tree I Can't Stand It Love Letters Creation Rockers Dance Crasher Breaking Up Is Hard To Do Current Artists At Studio 1 Vol 1 Keep On Shining Dance Crasher Dance Crasher Darker Than Blue It's A Shame DJ Andy Smith Presents Trojan Document Rock Steady Drifting With Mudies All Stars & The Rhythm Rulers I'm Hoping Duke Reid Rock's Steady Rock Steady Girl I've Got A Date Cry Tough All My Tears (Come Rolling) Duke Of Earl Why Birds Follow Spring Ain't That Loving You (For More Reasons Than One) Duke Reid's Treasure Chest Can't Stand It Lala Means I Love You Cry Tough Girl I've Got A Date (Alt. Vers.) Fire Down Below What Does It Take For Lovers And Rockers Vol 1 I'm Still In Love With You Gay Jamaica Independence Time Puping In What Does It Take Gems From Treasure Isle Rock Steady Get Ready To Rock Steady Never Love Again Golden Rockers Room Full Of Tears Good Times Skank All We Need Is Love Heptones & Friends Vol 2 Knock On Wood Here Comes The Duke Laba Laba Reggae Hidden Treasures Vol 2 Still Trying History Of Trojan Records 1972-95 All That We Need Is Love Hot Bomb Loving Mood Lend Me An Hear Hottest Hits Cry Tough Hottest Hits Vol 2 Girl I've Got A Date La La Means I Love You Hottest Hits Vol 3 Remember That Sunday In Memoriam Knock On Wood Jamaica Today The Seventies The People Can't Get Used To Losing You Jamaican Memories A Fool Jump Jamaica Way Yours Just My Imagination Vol 4 What Does It Take (To Win Your Love) Lee's Gold Vol 1 Can I Change My Mind Love Is All I Had Love Letter Remember That Sunday Love Is All I Had Why Did You Leave Me Love Letters Remember That Sunday Mark Lamarr Presents Nuclear Weapon Chickeroo We're Going Rollin' Midnight Confessions Why Did You Leave Remember That Sunday Love Letters Mojo Rocksteady Whipping The Prince Moonwalk Remember That Sunday More Souled On Reggae What Does It Take To Win Your Love Natural Reggae Can I Change My Mind Nice Up The Dance Can I Change My Mind Nu-Beat's Greatest Hits La La Means I Love You Oldies But Goodies Muriel Oldies But Goodies Vol 2 I Know It All Oldies Greatest Hits Can I Change My Mind Original Club Ska Yakety Yak Original Jamaican Classics vol 3 Can I Change My Mind Dance Crasher Pablo & Friends Someday Party Time At Studio 1 Can I Change My Mind Pirates Choice A Fool R. Zee Jackson Presents ''The People's Showcase'' Jamaican Daughter Randy's 50th Anniversary Like A Dream Mouth A Massy Rum Bumpers Too Late To Turn Back Now Ranking Miss P Presents Sweet Harmony Rock Steady Ready Steady Go Rock Steady My Time Is The Right Time The Message Rebel Music Vol 2 I'll Be Waiting Reggae Classics - Serious Selections Vol 1 Mr Ska Beena Reggae Jamboree I'm Hoping Reggae Love Songs Telephone Line Reggae Love Songs Vol 2 And I Love Her Reggae Revolution No Man Is Perfect Respect To Studio 1 Breaking Up Is Hard To Do Revolution Rock Dance Crasher Rock Steady Cool Bye Bye Love La La Means I Love You Rough And Tough Dance Crasher Shades Of Hudson Bad Boy Simply Reggae Willow Tree La La Means I Love You Breaking Up Ska Bonanza My Heaven Solid Gold I'll Be Waiting Soul For Sale Breaking Up Soul Power It's Your Thing Souled On Reggae Telephone Line Sound System Rockers Play It Cool Sounds And Pressure Vol 3 Too Late Sounds Of Jamaica Top Ten You Make Me Happy You Said It Again Sounds Of The Seventies Too Late To Turn Back Now Sounds Of Young Jamaica Im Just A Guy Im Still In Love Streets Of Ska My Heaven Studio 1 Classics - Roots African Descendants Studio 1 Showcase Vol 1 Almost Anything Studio 1 Showcase vol 3 I'll Never Fall In Love Again Studio Kinda Cloudy Big Bad Boy Studio One Classics I'm Just A Guy Studio One Discomix You Make Me So Very Happy Studio One Dub Vol 2 Live & Dub Studio One Funk African Descendants It's A Shame Studio One Kings The Well Run Dry Studio One Lovers Let Him Try Studio One Roots Blackish White Studio One Roots Vol 3 Oppression Studio One Soul I Don't Want To Be Right Studio One Story I'm Still In Love With You Sufferer's Choice Deliver Us To Africa Tapper Zukie Presents Proud to Be Black We A Feel It The Best Of Studio One Collection Can I Change My Mind The Birth Of Trojan Ain't That Lovin' You Why Birds Follow Spring The Bunny Lee Rocksteady Years Loving Mood The Bunny Striker Lee Story I've Got Love The Grove Reggae Collection It's Hard To Be A Lover The Heptones & Friends vol 1&2 Knock On Wood The Hudson Affair Big Bad Boy You Are Mine The Lovely Dozen Diana The Park Is Mine Play It Cool The Trojan Story Rock Steady The Trojan Story Vol 1&2 Rock Steady Big Bad Boy (I Don't Know Why) Truly This Is Reggae Music Cry Tough Rocksteady This Is Reggae Vol 2 Denver Back To Africa Deliver Us This Is Reggae vol 3 Blackman's Pride Tighten Up Vol 1 I Can't Stand It Tighten Up Vol 4 Going Back To Africa Tougher Than Tough Girl I've Got A Date Treasure Isle Presents Tribute To Peckings Why Did You Leave I'm Just A Guy Trojan Beatles Tribute Box Set And I Love Her Trojan Christmas Box Set Merry Merry Christmas Trojan Jamaican Hits Box Set Big Bad Boy Trojan Jamaican Superstars Box Set Rascal Man Better Must Come Baby I Need Your Loving Pretty Girl My Baby Is Gone Living In The Footsteps It's A Shame Soul Groover Big Bad Boy You've Made Me So Very Happy Lord Deliver Us Give Me Your Love Truly What Does It Take To Win Your Love I Am Still In Love With You Trojan Legends Box Set Life Is Down In Denver Trojan Lovers Box Set I'll Be Waiting Trojan Lovers Rock Box Set Telephone Line I’m Still In Love With You Trojan Mod Reggae Box Set Vol 2 Dance Crasher Trojan Motor City Box Set You’ve Made Me So Very Happy What Does It Take (To Win Your Love) It’s A Shame Trojan Reggae Brothers Box Set Room Full Of Tears Trojan Reggae Chill Out Box Set Rock Steady Trojan Reggae Duets Box Set Why Did You Leave Remember That Sunday Trojan Rocksteady Box Set Rocksteady All My Tears Trojan Roots and Culture Box Set The Children Are Crying Trojan Rude Boy Box Set Dance Crasher The Preacher Blessings Of Love Cry Tough Trojan Selecta Vol 6 Rock Steady Trojan Selecta Vol 7 Ain't That Loving You Trojan Ska Box Set Blessings Of Love Girl I've Got A Date Trojan Ska Rarities Box Set You Are The One To Blame Trojan Suedehead Reggae Box Set Play It Cool (Aka Rock On Time) Version Galore Girl I've Got A Date Ain't That Loving You (For More Reasons Than One) Version Studio Experience When Rhythm Was King Mad Mad Work Your Soul Girl I've Got A Date (Soul Version) Your Ace From Space Ain't That Loving You

As a musicianVocalsAlton Ellis - 25th Silver Jubilee [1984] Alton Ellis - A Love To Share [1979] Alton Ellis - All My Tears [1965-68] Alton Ellis - Daydreaming [1983] Alton Ellis - Jubilee Volume 2 [1985] Alton Ellis - Many Moods Of Alton Ellis [1978-80] Alton Ellis - My Time Is The Right Time [1966-71] Alton Ellis & Heptones - Alton Ellis Sings, Heptones Harmonise [1978-80] Alton & Hortense Ellis - Alton & Hortense Ellis At Studio 1 D. Witter - Mawamba Dub (Warrior) [1978] Soul Vendors - On Tour

PercussionsAlton Ellis - Many Moods Of Alton Ellis [1978-80]

No comments: