Sunday, December 5, 2010

JUNIE RANKS IS TAKING BACK THE DANCEHALL



Dec. 5, 2010 ...New York: Junie Ranks made her mark in the dance hall years ago. After recording her first single “Counteraction” for Techniques on the stalag riddim, she gained many hit singles like “Gimmie Di Buddy”, “ Cry Fe Me Boops”, “Big and Ready” and “Dibby Dibby Man”. During the days of real dancehall music she was one of the top female dee-jays and received the Father Bins award for Female Dee Jay of the Year in 1989.

Junie has recorded for some of the top producers in the business such as King Jammys, Steelie, Bunny Lee, Patrick Roberts, Black Scorpio and the late King Tubbys. She also collaborated with Penthouse records on several occasions at the end of the 80s.

Recently she went back into the studio with Brooklyn based reggae singer, songwriter and producer Ed Robinson at E2 Recordings, Inc., a/k/a E2 Studios to record her new song titled "Bring Back The Love".

R1: Why haven't we seen much of you on the music scene?
JR: The dancehall music that was coming out was no longer challenging to me. I moved out of New York, went back to school, work and lived my life outside of the music.

R1: Did your heart or inner voice ever bother you about going back into music?
JR: Many times. So did fellow artists, producers and fans. They would not allow me to forget music and constantly nagged me to get back into it.

R1: What's your take on the music and the music business today?
JR: I am disgusted by what I am reading, seeing and hearing. I also detest the disrespect for the women and veterans in this business. I want to see change.

R1: What was the breaking point for your return?
JR: For a long time now, I wanted to pen lyrics to what was and is happening in our music today. Then finally, my inspiration to write "Bring Back The Love" and go into the studio to record it was brought upon by the song "Our Heroes" by Ed Robinson. I wanted to write how I and many of my fans felt back then and now. "Bring Back The Love" is a tribute to the days of real dancehall music and the artists who gave dancehall fans what they wanted, which was great music/lyrics and to have a nice time. I am confident that all real Reggae/Dancehall lovers will be able to reminisce, feel, love and enjoy "Bring Back The Love" when they listen to it because in these times we need just that.

R1: When will the single be available?
JR: The single will be available in two weeks.

R1: What would you like to say to your fans, music lovers and the youth?
JR: First to my fans. Thanks for your support and encouragement throughout the years and I do hope you all enjoy this song. I look forward to your continued support and honesty. To music lovers, please continue to support real music and buy the real thing, no boot leg. The Youth, eduction, education, education I cannot say it enough.


Junie Ranks will be at the Bee Hive Lounge, 990 Atlantic Ave., Brooklyn, NY making a guest appearance for Caribbean Billboard Magazine's 17th Anniversary celebration on Wednesday, December 8, 2010. That same night she will be filming her video.

No comments: