Wednesday, June 30, 2010

INTERVIEW WITH HOWARD MAPP A/K/A SIR TOMMY'S - Michelle Arthurton




MA: How many siblings do you have?
ST: There are 3 boys and 3 girls. I am the first boy out of the 6.

MA: How did your mother feel about you going into the music business?
ST: My mother could not take the boom, boom, so I went to my friends homes to play music.

MA: Are there any other family members in the music business?
ST: Yes, my younger sister Karen a/k/a K-Vibes, she sings.

MA: Who inspired you?
ST: As a little boy growing up on Maxfield Ave., I lived besides a place that held dances by a man named One Hand Brown and another across the street. These two places inspired me to go into the music business.

MA: Who are some of the artists you look up to from yesteryear?
ST: Some of the artists are: The late Alton Ellis, Delroy, Ken Boothe, all the veteran artists.

MA: Who are some of the artists you played on the set back then?
ST: There were so many of them, to go across the board no particular ... in the 70's Johnny Clarke, as a matter of fact it was whoever reigned at that time.

MA: Which sounds from yesteryear you liked?
ST: I was inspired by Joe Creed and King Tubby's.

MA: Which sound toady do you like?
ST: Downbeat, African Love, Sons of Jr., and Third World.

MA: As a sound making a mark in New York is there any sound or sounds you helped in the business to make a start or introduce to the scene?
ST: Yes. I was the first to take Road's International in a dancehall and gave them the name.

MA: Many people know you as a soundman, but there is another side to Sir Tommy's, the producer. What year did you start to produce music?
ST: I started producing in 1985 and more so in the 90's.

MA: Who are some of the artists you have produced?
ST: My sister Karen Morrison a/k/a K-Vibes, Sugar Minott, Little John, Ansel Meditations, Philip Frazier, Wayne Smith, Lady V, Lady P, Johnny P, Tuffest to name a few.

MA: How many albums have you produced on your record label thus far?
ST: I have thirteen albums.

MA: What is your take on the music business today?
ST: The music business needs straightening out. It could be better. The music, lyrics, the entire concept could be better.

MA: Which artist(s)/music do you enjoy today?
ST: I really like the work of Queen Ifrica, she is different and is a good writer. In regards to the music I like conscious and positive music. I do not go for the derogatory lyrics.

MA: I heard you play in 2004 for the first time. I was thrown back to the days in the UK with the Hi-Fi's, as your sound, style, attire and choice of music reminded me so much of that time. Why is this so?
ST: Well that was how I started out and I still maintain much of it to this day with little change of course.

MA: 2-3 months ago you played at Mush One's event, I did not see you play any C'd's nor use a lap top and I was like yesssss that is the real McKoy. What do you have to say?
ST: Vinyl is final. Cd's does not carry volume but vinyls does.

MA: What advice you would give to a sound today?
ST: I would tell them to have a sound to play for any occasion - weddings, dancehalls, parties, graduations etc. Just be flexible and know your audience.

MA: Any advice for today's up and coming artists?
ST: Yes. They need to write and sings songs that are positive. I say this because we are in an age where kids are not like those of yesteryear. The kids are advanced with the technological age and have access to all these outlets and are listening. They need to provide the listeners with lyrics that will make a positive impact on society in general.

MA: What is next for Sir Tommy's?
ST: I will keep striving to do better things, continue doing my works that I am blessed with.

1 comment:

Marcia Davis said...

One of the first studios i used to hang around was Sir Tommy's. He never questioned me, never asked what i was doing there or showed me 'no bad face'. i was embraced as a music lover from the first and that's how he remains today. no airs and graces, a down-to-earth music afficiando with class and good taste. Blessed Sir Tommy. Thanks for sharing the interview with us Michelle. One love. Marcia Davis