Friday, April 17, 2009

SOUNDING OFF ON OUR COMMUNITY JOCKS

For those of you who do not know me. I am not one to hold back. I say it, I tell it like it is and I mean it. I call a spade a spade, no time for B.S. I am not going to shut up, I am not hear to be popular, I am here to do the right thing and try and make this place a better place WHILE I AM HERE and for those who I leave behind and those to come. 

Having had the privilege of being part of radio for a number of years in the United States Virgin Islands and seeing how my fellow radio jocks had to conduct themselves in a professional manner, be accountable and serve our community who depended on us and gives us a chance to be heard - I am appalled at most of the radio jocks in our genre today. They SUCK. Artist, Management, Listeners and YOU know it. At most times there is no creative programming, they at most parts 99.9% of the time pay attention today's name/name brand artists (uncreative ppl) instead of giving upcoming artists and artists of yesteryear attention. The latter you will only hear - when they have either passed on or when those of interest on the stations are having a gig with said artist(s). These radio people hardly meet the needs of their own community. Then the down right arrogance of some of them, as if they are untouchable. Giving you the take it or leave it - I do as I darn well please. No it does not work that way SON/DAUGHTER. Your time on the radio is a PRIVILEGE (a grant to an individual, corporation, etc., of a special right or immunity, under certain conditions) remember that. I say shame, shame, shame on you.

We as a community should DEMAND more of our radio jocks and stop putting up with what they are giving us. It is time for them to put up, shut up, ship out or shape up and play good music, creative music and respect it's community. If no action is taken, they will continue to use and abuse these airwaves. Kudos to Jamaica's Broadcasting Commission. Red Hot pitch forks to those who oppose. (Keep it in the dancehall's not in our ears or the ears of our precious children. We are parents/guardians who are not dragging up our children, we are raising them, raising them to respect themselves and others) 

No comments: